What to Do After a Car Accident in Lebanon, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Lebanon, IL Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Lebanon, IL. Car accidents are unfortunately ubiquitous in the modern world. They happen without any notice, and can lead to considerable physical, mental and economic burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, it's important to know what steps to take to get the full and fair financial recovery you're legally entitled to. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Lebanon, IL, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our practice to ensuring the average person in Lebanon, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal advocacy that massive insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
In the Moments Right After Your Car Accident in Lebanon, IL
The moments immediately following a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's imperative to stay calm and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call 911 right away and give first aid if you can.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of calling the police isn't to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Lebanon, IL or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Lebanon, IL Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your future. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you consult with with a car accident lawyer. They will try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were injured in the accident, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you understand the injury claim process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a traumatic experience, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your financial well-being as it relates to the accident. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Lebanon, IL Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Lebanon, IL and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are severe, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you receive fair compensation and defend your future.
There are many situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Lebanon, IL to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If there is a dispute over who is at fault for the accident, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a family member passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Lebanon, IL to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to consult with one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Lebanon, IL car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Lebanon, IL Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Lebanon, IL car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the full value of your claim to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Lebanon, IL car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any concerns you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Lebanon, IL car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Lebanon, IL car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial assistance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Lebanon, IL, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Lebanon, IL include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Lebanon, IL? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving great legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Lebanon, IL injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.