Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Lebanon, IL
Lebanon, IL Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Lebanon, IL Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Lebanon, IL. Riding a bicycle is great for our physical and mental well-being. But too frequently, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to stand by your side. We offer expert legal representation clients in Lebanon, IL and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an experienced and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Lebanon, IL Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle accidents across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, which caused 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
Nationawide, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes occur at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American travelers and commuters, annually they account for over twice that in motor vehicle fatalities. The disparity points to the terrible damage drivers can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Lebanon, IL?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist negligence or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents on the side of the road cause more serious injuries because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Lebanon, IL bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Lebanon, IL Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure great financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need skilled and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Lebanon, IL area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Lebanon, IL?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the causes of your accident. Each case is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and make each of them reimburse you based on how much of the accident was their fault. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any passenger car, and if you are injured by a motorist the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone injures you because they were driving under the influence, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Under the legal practice of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a state statute. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will be more accommodating in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Parts
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as headlights, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they don't, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than the law permits, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Municipal entities at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Lebanon, IL roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as a pothole caused your injuries, your Lebanon, IL bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover for My Lebanon, IL Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are numerous factors that determine what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The extent of your injuries — More significant injuries lead to higher medical bills, and you should receive all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Lebanon, IL bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Does your wrist spasm when you try to play the guitar? A seasoned and knowledgeable Lebanon, IL bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you need to be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a back injury in a bicycle accident in Lebanon, IL and now are not able to safely lift over 25 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Lebanon, IL bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Lebanon, IL:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Lebanon, IL | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Lebanon, IL lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their abilities to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive all the money they deserve. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Lebanon, IL today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.