Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Lebanon, IL
Lebanon, IL Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Lebanon, IL Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Lebanon, IL. Riding a bicycle is a great way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We offer expert legal representation the injured and vulnerable in Lebanon, IL and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an experienced and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Lebanon, IL?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Lebanon, IL to guarantee the best possible result. A personal injury lawyer in Lebanon, IL can offer help in a multitude of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you increase your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are legally entitled to
- Finding extra insurance coverage if your damages surpass the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law truthfully and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance adjuster can feel disheartening. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often depend on claimants knowing very little about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to provide as minimal money as feasible. We'll make sure they understand their lawful responsibility to compensate you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including collecting evidence, deposing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are unfamiliar with injury claims can make errors or neglect critical steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a vulnerability.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle obtaining your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more complex to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interview witnesses, examine medical records, and establish a connection your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can validate your story. The more complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Experienced bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to locate the evidence needed to get maximum compensation.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned personal injury lawyers in your corner to file a lawsuit and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Lebanon, IL trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side for the duration of your case, from our first case review through a jury or bench trial.
Lebanon, IL Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto wrecks nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which caused 351 injuries and six deaths, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle collisions 1,995 people were injured and 28 people passed away.
In both states, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for more than twice that in traffice-related fatalities. The discrepancy speaks to the terrible destruction motorists can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Lebanon, IL?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist simply did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that "midblock" accidents cause more severe injuries because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Lebanon, IL bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Lebanon, IL Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Lebanon, IL residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need knowledgeable and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Lebanon, IL area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Lebanon, IL?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the specifics of your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. You may be able to seek compensation from:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any other vehicle, and if you are injured by a motorist the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone hits you because they were driving under the influence, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as allowing at least three feet of space when passing. Pursuant to the legal practice of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car Parts
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as tires, you can file a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than the law permits, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Lebanon, IL roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting played a part in your accident, your Lebanon, IL bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own rules for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not granted sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Lebanon, IL Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The extent of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to much higher compensation than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Lebanon, IL bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the physical and emotional hardships caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An experienced and skilled Lebanon, IL bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a construction worker who suffered an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Lebanon, IL and now are not able to safely lift over 25 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been severely compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure your future is secure.
- Policy limits — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent liable.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Lebanon, IL bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should be able to lean on the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Lebanon, IL
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and confusing, but there are several things you should do to help you get better physically and enhance your compensation.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Get Medical Attention
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could make your injuries worse. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, hold out for emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, go to the emergency room or urgent care after law enforcement tell you you can leave the scene. If you didn't go the same day, make an appointment with your general practitioner as soon as you can. If you don't have medical documentation of your injuries, you won't be able to obtain compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in demonstrating the other party's liability. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't admit fault or over-explain what happened. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't offer any information they don't directly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can reach out to them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be a lowball offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. Many injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always worth it to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Lebanon, IL:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Lebanon, IL | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Lebanon, IL lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their abilities to standing up for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get all the money they are entitled to. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Lebanon, IL today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.