What to Do After a Car Accident in Madison, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Madison, IL Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Madison, IL. Car accidents are all too common in modern society. They can happen to anyone, at any time, and can cause ruinous physical, mental and financial hardships. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to protect your legal rights. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Madison, IL, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring the average person in Madison, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal representation that massive corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Madison, IL
The moments immediately following a car accident can be staggering. However, it's essential to stay calm and take the steps outlined below:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call 911 right away and give first aid if you are able.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of calling the police isn't to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to assign blame in a car accident. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Madison, IL or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Madison, IL Car Accident
Once you've left the accident scene, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the compensation are legally entitled to. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and communications with the insurance company.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by a negligent driver, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you understand the personal injury process and ensure that your rights are protected. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in asking us to look over your case, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe you are entitled to much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your future. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Madison, IL Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Madison, IL with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you receive the best possible compensation and protect your rights.
There are numerous situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Madison, IL to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Madison, IL to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Madison, IL Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will be your legal advocate and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Madison, IL car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Madison, IL car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any concerns you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Madison, IL car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Madison, IL car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable assistance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Madison, IL, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Madison, IL include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Madison, IL? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving high-quality legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Madison, IL injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.