Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Madison, IL
Madison, IL Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Madison, IL Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Madison, IL. Riding a bicycle is a wonderful way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too frequently, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to stand by your side. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Madison, IL and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Madison, IL Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in motor vehicle crashes in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which lead to 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Nationawide, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes occur at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, annually they account for more than twice that in traffice-related fatalities. The deviation points to the horrible destruction drivers can cause when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Madison, IL?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver negligence or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that "midblock" accidents cause more significant injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Madison, IL bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Madison, IL Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in permanent disability. We've helped secure the best possible financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the gravity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need accomplished and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Madison, IL area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is Responsible for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Madison, IL?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that caused your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as an operator of any passenger car, and if you are injured by a motorist the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone injures you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Following the legal practice of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Component
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as headlights, you can file a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they don't, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be responsible for a percentage of your financial recovery.
A Government Entity
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Madison, IL roadways. If a hazard such as uneven pavement caused your accident, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Madison, IL bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Madison, IL Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Madison, IL bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the physical and emotional hardships caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Are you afraid to get back on your bike? An accomplished and talented Madison, IL bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Madison, IL and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is comfortable.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies usually have much more. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially at fault, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Madison, IL bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence has a right to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Madison, IL:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Madison, IL | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Madison, IL lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their careers to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive all the money they deserve. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Madison, IL today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.