What to Do After a Car Accident in High Ridge, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | High Ridge, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in High Ridge, MO. Car accidents are all too common in today's world. They can happen in the blink of an eye, and can cause ruinous physical, mental and economic hardships. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to protect your future. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in High Ridge, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring the average person in High Ridge, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same expert legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in High Ridge, MO
Being in a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's imperative to stay calm and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call for emergency personnel immediately and render aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to assign blame in a car accident. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Take photos — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about your actions.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in High Ridge, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your High Ridge, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your future. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you speak with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were injured in the accident, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you understand the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in asking us to look over your case, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following the above steps, you can help protect your economic well-being as it relates to the accident. If the insurance company won't be fair, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My High Ridge, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in High Ridge, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you get the best possible compensation and defend your rights.
There are several circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in High Ridge, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can help you guide you through the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in High Ridge, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The only way to really know if you need a lawyer is to talk to one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in High Ridge, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will stand by your side and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable High Ridge, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and acquire other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the extent of all your damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your High Ridge, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced High Ridge, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced High Ridge, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial aid after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in High Ridge, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in High Ridge, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in High Ridge, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving great legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote High Ridge, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.