What to Do After a Car Accident in Potosi, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Potosi, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Potosi, MO. Car accidents are all too common in today's world. They can happen in the blink of an eye, and can cause ruinous physical, mental and economic burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to get the full and fair compensation you deserve. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Potosi, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our practice to ensuring the average person in Potosi, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in Potosi, MO
Being in a car accident can be confusing. However, it's essential to stay calm and do the following:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call 911 immediately and give first aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of this isn't to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Take pictures — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about your actions.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Potosi, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Potosi, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the compensation are legally entitled to. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to your injuries, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you consult with with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were injured in the accident, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you understand the personal injury process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in discussing your case with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your economic well-being as it relates to the accident. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Potosi, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Potosi, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you receive fair compensation and protect your rights.
There are many situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Potosi, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can help you guide you through the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a family member passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Potosi, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Potosi, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Potosi, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Potosi, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the legal process. An experienced Potosi, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Potosi, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable aid after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Potosi, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Potosi, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Potosi, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving the highest standard of legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Potosi, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.