What to Do After a Car Accident in Rolla, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Rolla, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Rolla, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately commonplace in today's world. They can happen to anyone, at any time, and can cause devastating physical, emotional and economic burdens. If you were injured through no fault of your own, it's important to know what to do next to get the full and fair financial recovery you're owed. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Rolla, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring that those injured in Rolla, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same expert legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Rolla, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's important to stay calm and take the following steps:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call 911 immediately and provide medical attention if you are able.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take pictures — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about your actions.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Rolla, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Rolla, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your future. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Some injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt by a negligent driver, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think you are entitled to much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being being injured in a car accident can be an overwhelming occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following the above steps, you can help protect yourself. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Rolla, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Rolla, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you get fair compensation and defend your future.
There are numerous situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Rolla, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for your injuries, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If you were injured in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can help you guide you through the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one passed away in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Rolla, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The only way to really know if you need a lawyer is to consult with one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Rolla, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Rolla, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Rolla, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Rolla, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any concerns you may have about the legal process. An experienced Rolla, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Rolla, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable aid after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Rolla, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Rolla, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Rolla, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving great legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Rolla, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.