What to Do After a Car Accident in Troy, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Troy, IL Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Troy, IL. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of the modern world. They are always unexpected, and can cause significant physical, mental and economic burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to get the full and fair compensation you deserve. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Troy, IL, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our careers to ensuring everyday people in Troy, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal representation that powerful corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Troy, IL
Getting injured in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's crucial to stay calm and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call 911 right away and render aid if you can.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of this isn't to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to determine blame in a car accident. Their report is essential for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Troy, IL or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Troy, IL Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the compensation are owed. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Certain injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't say anything before you speak with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt in the accident, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the personal injury process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in discussing your case with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe you deserve much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect yourself. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Troy, IL Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Troy, IL with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require ongoing treatment, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you receive full compensation and defend your future.
There are numerous situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Troy, IL to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If you were involved in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can help you navigate the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Troy, IL to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Troy, IL Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Troy, IL car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Troy, IL car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Troy, IL car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Troy, IL car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable guidance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Troy, IL, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we handle in Troy, IL include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Troy, IL? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving great legal advocacy to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Troy, IL injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.