What to Do After a Car Accident in New Haven, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | New Haven, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in New Haven, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of the modern world. They happen without any notice, and can cause devastating physical, emotional and economic burdens. If you were injured by a negligent driver, it's important to know what to do next to get the full and fair financial recovery you're owed. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in New Haven, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our practice to ensuring the average person in New Haven, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in New Haven, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be staggering. However, it's essential to stay calm and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is severely injured or unconscious, call for emergency personnel immediately and give first aid if you can.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Take photos — Get photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when filing your claim.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in New Haven, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your New Haven, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your legal rights. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Some injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by another driver, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you navigate the personal injury process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in asking us to look over your case, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe you deserve much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your economic well-being as it relates to the accident. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My New Haven, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in New Haven, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are significant, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you receive the best possible compensation and defend your future.
There are many situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in New Haven, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver is blaming you for your injuries, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you guide you through the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a family member passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in New Haven, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in New Haven, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced New Haven, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company for you ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your New Haven, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced New Haven, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced New Haven, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable assistance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in New Haven, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in New Haven, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in New Haven, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving high-quality legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote New Haven, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.