What to Do After a Car Accident in Crestwood, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Crestwood, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Crestwood, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately commonplace in modern society. They can happen in a heartbeat, and can lead to significant physical, emotional and economic hardships. If you find yourself in a car accident, it's important to know what to do next to protect yourself. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Crestwood, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our practice to ensuring everyday people in Crestwood, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same expert legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Crestwood, MO
Being in a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's important to keep your wits about you and take the following steps:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and render aid if you are able.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of this isn't to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when filing your claim.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about your actions.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Crestwood, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Crestwood, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident scene, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the compensation are legally entitled to. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't say anything before you discuss your case with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by a negligent driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in asking us to look over your case, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect yourself. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Crestwood, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Crestwood, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you receive fair compensation and defend your rights.
There are several situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Crestwood, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If a family member passed away in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Crestwood, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to talk to one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Crestwood, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will be your legal advocate and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Crestwood, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and acquire other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can determine the full value of your claim to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Crestwood, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Crestwood, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Crestwood, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial guidance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Crestwood, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we handle in Crestwood, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Crestwood, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving high-quality legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Crestwood, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.