What to Do After a Car Accident in Osage Beach, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Osage Beach, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Osage Beach, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately ubiquitous in the modern world. They happen without any notice, and can cause significant physical, emotional and financial hardships. If you were injured by a negligent driver, you need to know what steps to take to protect your legal rights. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Osage Beach, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our careers to ensuring that those injured in Osage Beach, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same expert legal advocacy that powerful corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Osage Beach, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be staggering. However, it's imperative to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call 911 right away and render aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of this isn't to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report is essential for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Take pictures — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Osage Beach, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Osage Beach, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your legal rights. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt by a negligent driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe you are owed much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your future. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Osage Beach, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Osage Beach, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are significant, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you receive fair compensation and defend your rights.
There are several situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Osage Beach, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for your injuries, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Osage Beach, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Osage Beach, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will be your legal advocate and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Osage Beach, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can determine the full value of your claim to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Osage Beach, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced Osage Beach, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Osage Beach, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable guidance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Osage Beach, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Osage Beach, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Osage Beach, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving the highest standard of legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Osage Beach, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.