Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Osage Beach, MO
Osage Beach, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Osage Beach, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Osage Beach, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We serve clients in Osage Beach, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Osage Beach, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in auto wrecks across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which resulted in 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Nationawide, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Almost a third of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, annually they account for over twice that in traffice-related fatalities. The disparity points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Osage Beach, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist just was not paying attention. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents on the side of the road cause more serious injuries because of the higher speeds involved. Your Osage Beach, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Osage Beach, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Osage Beach, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because of the seriousness of the bicycle accident injuries, you need talented and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Osage Beach, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Osage Beach, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that caused your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and make each of them reimburse you based on how much of the accident was their fault. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone injures you because they were texting and driving, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Pursuant to the legal theory of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you wee injured because a driver passed too closely, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Faulty or Car Parts
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as brakes, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform drug tests, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Osage Beach, MO roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole caused your accident, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Osage Beach, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Osage Beach, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are numerous factors that determine what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Osage Beach, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and mental health — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful to sleep in certain positions? An experienced and skilled Osage Beach, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Osage Beach, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative fault, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. So if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent responsible.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Osage Beach, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should have access to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
See some of the other cases we take on in Osage Beach, MO:
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Osage Beach, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is confusing, infuriating and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Osage Beach, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their careers to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they are owed. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Osage Beach, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.