What to Do After a Car Accident in Fayette, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Fayette, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Fayette, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of modern society. They can happen in a heartbeat, and can lead to devastating physical, emotional and financial hardships. If you were injured by a negligent driver, it's important to know what to do next to get the full and fair compensation you're legally entitled to. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Fayette, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our practice to ensuring that those injured in Fayette, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that massive corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Fayette, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's imperative to keep your wits about you and take the following steps:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel right away and give first aid if you know how to.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to determine fault in a car accident. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when seeking compensation.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Fayette, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Fayette, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your future. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by another driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you navigate the personal injury process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your future. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Fayette, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Fayette, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are severe, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you receive fair compensation and defend your future.
There are many situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Fayette, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If there is disagreement over who is at fault for the accident, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Fayette, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to talk to one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Fayette, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Fayette, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and acquire other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company for you ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Fayette, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the legal process. An experienced Fayette, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Fayette, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable aid after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Fayette, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Fayette, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Fayette, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving the highest standard of legal advocacy to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Fayette, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.