Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fayette, MO
Fayette, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Fayette, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fayette, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for the mind and body. But too often, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We serve clients in Fayette, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an experienced and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Fayette, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle wrecks in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which resulted in 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle collisions, which caused 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both states, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes occur at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, annually they account for more than two percent of motor vehicle deaths. The disparity speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Fayette, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist just was not paying attention. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents between intersections are more severe because of the higher speeds involved. Your Fayette, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out an exhaustive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Fayette, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in permanent disability. We've helped secure great compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need skilled and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Fayette, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Fayette, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the causes of your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and make each of them reimburse you based on how much of the accident was their fault. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as an operator of any other vehicle, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were driving drunk, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as not driving or parking in a bike lane. Following the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more accommodating in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car Component
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as tires, you can make a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to carry out drug tests, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Fayette, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as uneven pavement caused your accident, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Fayette, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so an attorney is necessary for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, according to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Fayette, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The scope of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, and you should receive all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care physician. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Fayette, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional well-being — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the physical and emotional hardships caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An accomplished and knowledgeable Fayette, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you need to be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Fayette, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 50 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been severely compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Fayette, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should be able to depend on the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Fayette, MO:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fayette, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Fayette, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their abilities to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Fayette, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.