What to Do After a Car Accident in Arnold, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Arnold, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Arnold, MO. Car accidents are all too common in the modern world. They happen without any notice, and can lead to significant physical, emotional and economic hardships. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to get the full and fair compensation you deserve. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Arnold, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our careers to ensuring the average person in Arnold, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Arnold, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be confusing. However, it's essential to stay calm and take the following steps:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call 911 immediately and provide medical attention if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of this isn't to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about what you did leading up the crash.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Arnold, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Arnold, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your future. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance company.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were injured in the accident, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you navigate the personal injury process and ensure the insurance company doesn't treat you poorly. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a traumatic experience, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your economic well-being as it relates to the accident. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Arnold, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Arnold, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are severe, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you receive the best possible compensation and defend your rights.
There are many situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Arnold, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to be held accountable, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a family member passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Arnold, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Arnold, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will stand by your side and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Arnold, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and gather other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the full value of your claim to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Arnold, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Arnold, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Arnold, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable assistance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Arnold, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Arnold, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Arnold, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving the highest standard of legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Arnold, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.