Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Arnold, MO
Arnold, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Arnold, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Arnold, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for our physical and mental well-being. But on too many occasions, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We offer expert legal representation the injured and vulnerable in Arnold, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an experienced and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Arnold, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in motor vehicle wrecks in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle collisions, which resulted in 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, each year they account for over two percent of traffice-related fatalities. The disparity points to the ruinous damage people can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Arnold, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist merely did not see a bicyclist. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents on the side of the road do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Arnold, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Arnold, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure great financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need talented and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Arnold, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Arnold, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the specifics of your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as an operator of any other vehicle, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone hits you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as not driving or parking in a bike lane. According to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a state statute. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Faulty or Car Component
If your result was because of a defective product, such as brakes, you can seek a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they fail to, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than regulations allow, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Arnold, MO roadways. If a hazard such as uneven pavement played a part in your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Arnold, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so an attorney is vital to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Arnold, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The scope of your injuries — More debilitating injuries lead to higher medical bills, and you should receive all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Arnold, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it a grind just to bring the groceries in? A seasoned and talented Arnold, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Arnold, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 30 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure your future is comfortable.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially liable, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. So if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Arnold, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. Our practice is founded on the idea that everyone has should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Arnold, MO:
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Arnold, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, painful and creates a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Arnold, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their practice to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are entitled to. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Arnold, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.