Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Arnold, MO
Arnold, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Arnold, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Arnold, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But on too many occasions, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident even after you did everything that you were supposed to, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We offer expert legal representation the injured and vulnerable in Arnold, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an accomplished and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Arnold, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Arnold, MO to ensure the optimal outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Arnold, MO can give support in a multitude of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are legally entitled to
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law truthfully and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless claims adjuster can feel disheartening. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid accepting that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing scant about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to pay as little money as possible. We'll make sure they understand their legal responsibility to reimburse you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, examining medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are unfamiliar with injury claims can make errors or neglect important steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a advantage, not a vulnerability.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle ensuring your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interview witnesses, examine medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as interview witnesses who can corroborate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Experienced bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to get a full financial recovery.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to file a lawsuit and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Arnold, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side for the duration of your case, from our first consultation through a jury verdict.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Arnold, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto accidents in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle collisions, which caused 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Nationawide, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for over twice that in traffice-related fatalities. The deviation speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Arnold, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist just was not paying attention. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that "midblock" accidents are more severe because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Arnold, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Arnold, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in lifelong consequences. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Arnold, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need talented and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Arnold, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Arnold, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that led to your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone hits you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Following the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a state statute. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car Parts
If your result was because of a defective product, such as tires, you can file a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to carry out drug tests, they would be responsible for a percentage of your financial recovery.
A Government Entity
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Arnold, MO roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections caused your accident, your Arnold, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own regulations for maintaining safe roads. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so an attorney is necessary to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Arnold, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that determine what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, which you will be compensated for. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to much higher compensation than a a visit or two with your primary care doctor. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Arnold, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and mental well-being — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the physical and emotional burdens caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Are you afraid to get back on your bike? An accomplished and skilled Arnold, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a construction worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Arnold, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 50 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been severely compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent responsible.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Arnold, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that large corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Arnold, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several things you should do to help you heal physically and optimize your compensation.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Seek Medical Treatment
If you can, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, visit the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, schedule a visit to your general practitioner as soon as possible. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to receive compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in demonstrating the other party's liability. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't admit fault or over-embellish your actions. Be truthful, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't offer any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident location, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can contact them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an unfairly low offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. Many injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always advisable to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Arnold, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Arnold, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, painful and leads to a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Arnold, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their careers to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they are owed. You do not pay unless we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Arnold, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.