Wrongful Death Attorneys in Ballwin, MO
Call for a Case Review and Consultation
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Ballwin, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our team knows that losing a family member is tragic. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorneys in Ballwin, MO, Halvorsen Klote is here to help survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, work-related incidents, falls, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact our Ballwin, MO, wrongful death attorneys today for a case review and consultation.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. The answer depends on the state the victim is in and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors are able to sue after a wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support or care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are more than 170,000 unintentional deaths every year in the U.S. If you are a dependent of someone who has died, it's essential to contact a wrongful death attorney in Ballwin, MO, as soon as you can. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause major harm and financial stress. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these types of cases. Feel free to view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the case. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, claimants have been potentially wronged by whichever parties are at fault. This can include a driver and that driver's employer, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, manufacturers and distributors, a building owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It's important to contact an experienced Ballwin, MO, wrongful death attorney that can assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
A death in the family can cause emotional and financial stress to family members. The causes can range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's just no way to know. A few of the more common causes include:
- Car and truck accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths every year in the U.S.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- Workplace accidents often involve machinery malfunctions, chemical exposure, and burns.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
What Damages Can You Recover for Wrongful Death?
Economic damages can include lost wages, lost benefits, any loss of inheritance, and any goods and services the survivor may have contributed in the future. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages that have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions such as emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor in. Some states allow you to claim punitive damages for negligent acts.
Our Ballwin, MO, wrongful death attorneys will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state the accident occurred in. The general rule is you should file a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you're contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to handle your case.
- What kind of experience do you have? Many firms should be able to provide you with client testimonials and results.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are an obvious concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Reach Out To a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Ballwin, MO, Today
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. Call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case consultation. Our Ballwin, MO, wrongful death attorneys handle a number of other cases as well, including:
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer
- Personal Injury Lawyer
Our firm would be happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it is essential to contact our local wrongful death lawyers in Ballwin, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal counsel doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our Ballwin, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to win.