Wrongful Death Attorneys in Edwardsville, IL
Call for a Consultation
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Edwardsville, IL. Halvorsen Klote represents clients in the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our team understands that the loss of a family member is difficult. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorneys in Edwardsville, IL, Halvorsen Klote is here to help survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes car and truck crashes, falls, work-related incidents, medical malpractice, and others. Families may be able to receive compensation for their loss. Contact Halvorsen Klote's Edwardsville, IL, wrongful death attorneys today for a case review and consultation.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. The answer depends on the state the victim is in and many other factors. In general, the following survivors have a chance to sue:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support or care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are more than 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you are financially dependent on someone who has died, it's crucial to reach out to a wrongful death lawyer in Edwardsville, IL, as soon as you can. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause serious harm and financial stress. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these sorts of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the incident. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, claimants have been potentially wronged by whichever parties are at fault. This includes a driver and that driver's employer, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, distributors or manufacturers, a building owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It's important to contact an experienced Edwardsville, IL, wrongful death attorney that will assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes can range from dying in a train accident to a construction platform falling on someone. There's just no way to tell. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Car and truck accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths every year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- On-the-job accidents usually include machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages often include any loss of financial earnings, loss of benefits, any loss of inheritance, and any goods and services the survivor may have contributed in the future. You can also include medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages are more complicated. Non-economic repercussions such as emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor into play. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for negligent acts.
Our Edwardsville, IL, wrongful death lawyers will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The general rule is you should file a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to handle your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Many firms should be able to provide you with client testimonials and results.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are an obvious concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Edwardsville, IL, Now
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our Edwardsville, IL, wrongful death lawyers handle a number of other cases as well, including:
- Injury Lawyer
- Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Our lawyers would be happy to speak with you. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it is important to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Edwardsville, IL, as soon as possible if there are financial damages. Legal representation doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Edwardsville, IL, wrongful death attorneys are here to help.