Wrongful Death Attorneys in Creve Coeur, MO
Call for a Consultation
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Creve Coeur, MO. Halvorsen Klote represents clients in the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our team knows that the loss of a loved one or family member is tragic. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorneys in Creve Coeur, MO, Halvorsen Klote is here to help survivors recover any financial damages in the case of an unexpected death. This includes car and truck crashes, falls, work-related incidents, medical malpractice, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact Halvorsen Klote's Creve Coeur, MO, wrongful death attorneys now for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. This varies on which state the victim died and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors are able to sue after a wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support or care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are an average of 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you're financially dependent on someone that has died, it's crucial to contact a wrongful death lawyer in Creve Coeur, MO, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause serious harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped clients with these sorts of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a number of liable parties depending on the case. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, survivors have been potentially wronged by whichever parties are at fault. This can include a driving company's employer if you're in an auto accident, the contractor responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, manufacturers and distributors, a property owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It is important to contact an experienced Creve Coeur, MO, wrongful death attorney that will assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes can range from dying in a train accident to a construction platform falling on someone. There's just no way to know. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths every year in the U.S.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- Workplace accidents usually involve machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages may include lost wages, loss of benefits, any loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they didn't die. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions like pain and suffering, loss of consortium or love, guidance, and nurturing can all factor into play. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for negligent acts.
Our Creve Coeur, MO, wrongful death lawyers will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state the accident occurred in. The rule of thumb is that you should pursue a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a couple of questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you're contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to handle your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Many firms should be able to provide you with client testimonials and results.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Creve Coeur, MO, Today
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our Creve Coeur, MO, wrongful death attorneys handle a number of other cases too, including:
- Injury Lawyer
- Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Our firm would be more than happy to speak with you. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.
No matter the cause of death, it is important to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Creve Coeur, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal assistance doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Creve Coeur, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to help.