Wrongful Death Attorneys in Versailles, MO
Call for a Consultation and Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Versailles, MO. Halvorsen Klote represents clients in the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our team understands that the loss of a family member is tragic. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death lawyers in Versailles, MO, Halvorsen Klote is here to help survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, work-related incidents, falls, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact Halvorsen Klote's Versailles, MO, wrongful death attorneys now for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. This depends on the state the victim is in and many other factors. In general, the following survivors have a chance to sue:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support or care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are an average of 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you're financially dependent on another person who has died, it is crucial to contact a wrongful death attorney in Versailles, MO, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause serious harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these sorts of cases. Feel free to view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the case. Each state has different laws on this, of course. In general, claimants have been potentially victimized by whichever parties are at fault. This can include a driver and that driver's employer, the contractor responsible for any roadwork, an employee, government agencies, distributors or manufacturers, a property owner, and others.
Who's at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It's important to contact an experienced Versailles, MO, wrongful death attorney that will assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes may range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's just no way to know. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths every year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- On-the-job accidents often involve machinery malfunctions, chemical exposure, and burns.
- Product liability deaths can be caused due to equipment failure (faulty brakes on a car), lack of a warning systems, chemicals, and other dangerous products.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages often include any loss of financial earnings, loss of benefits, any loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they didn't die. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages are more complicated. Non-economic repercussions such as emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor in. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Our Versailles, MO, wrongful death lawyers will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state the accident occurred in. The rule of thumb is that you should file a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for before you hire an attorney to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you work with? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to handle your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Any firm should be able to provide you with case results and reviews.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Reach Out To a Wrongful Death Attorney in Versailles, MO, Today
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case consultation. Our Versailles, MO, wrongful death attorneys handle a number of other cases too, including:
- Injury Lawyer
- Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Our attorneys would be more than happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it's essential to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Versailles, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal assistance doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Versailles, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to help.