Wrongful Death Attorneys in Springfield, MO
Call for a Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Springfield, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our firm understands that the loss of a loved one or family member is difficult. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorneys in Springfield, MO, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, work-related incidents, falls, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact our Springfield, MO, wrongful death attorneys today for a case review and consultation.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
"Who can sue" is a common question from clients. The answer depends on the state the victim is in and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors have a chance to sue:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are an average of 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you are a dependent of someone who has died, it is important to reach out to a wrongful death attorney in Springfield, MO, as soon as you can. Losing income, childcare, and other support may cause major harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these types of cases. Feel free to view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the incident. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, claimants have been potentially wronged by whichever parties are at fault. This can include a driver and that driver's employer, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, manufacturers and distributors, a property owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on where the accident happened, any liability coverage, and other factors. It is important to reach out to an experienced Springfield, MO, wrongful death attorney that can assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes can range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's no way to know. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Car and truck accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths every year in the U.S.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve anesthesia errors, birth injuries, defective equipment, and nursing home neglect.
- Workplace accidents often include machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
Our wrongful death attorneys in Springfield, MO, provide valuable legal representation to victims. Read our client testimonials to learn more about our firm. Our attorneys are here to help.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages can include any loss of financial earnings, lost benefits, any loss of inheritance, and any goods and services the survivor may have contributed in the future. You can also include medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages that have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions such as emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor into play. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for negligent acts.
Our Springfield, MO, wrongful death lawyers will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The rule of thumb is that you should pursue a case within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a couple of questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- What kind of experience do you have? Many firms should be able to provide you with case results and reviews.
- How much does your firm charge? Lawyer fees are an obvious concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Attorney in Springfield, MO, Now
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case consultation. Our Springfield, MO, wrongful death attorneys manage a number of other cases as well, including:
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Our firm would be more than happy to speak with you. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.
Attorney at Law
Samantha Orlowski is a practicing attorney Halvorsen Klote.
Samantha joined Halvorsen Klote in 2018 as a law clerk and has since become a practicing attorney. Sam's number one priority is to provide individualized experiences for each client to achieve the best results.
No matter the cause of death, it is crucial to contact our local wrongful death lawyers in Springfield, MO, as soon as possible if there are financial damages. Legal representation doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Springfield, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to win.