Wrongful Death Attorneys in Sullivan, MO
Call for a Consultation
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Sullivan, MO. Halvorsen Klote represents clients in the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our firm understands that the loss of a family member is tragic. As experienced injury and wrongful death lawyers in Sullivan, MO, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, work-related incidents, falls, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact Halvorsen Klote's Sullivan, MO, wrongful death attorneys now for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
"Who can sue" is a common question from clients. This depends on the state the victim is in and many other factors. In general, the following survivors have a chance to sue:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are more than 170,000 unintentional deaths every year in the U.S. If you're financially dependent on another person who has died, it's essential to contact a wrongful death attorney in Sullivan, MO, as soon as you can. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause major harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped clients with these types of cases. Feel free to view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a number of liable parties depending on the case. Each state has different laws on this, of course. In general, claimants have been potentially wronged by whichever parties are at fault. This includes a driving company's employer if you're in an auto accident, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, government agencies, manufacturers and distributors, a property owner, and others.
Who's at fault depends on where the accident happened, any liability coverage, and other factors. It is important to reach out to an experienced Sullivan, MO, wrongful death attorney that can assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
A death in the family can cause emotional and financial stress to family members. The causes can range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's just no way to tell. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- On-the-job accidents often include machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability deaths can be caused due to equipment failure (faulty brakes on a car), lack of a warning systems, chemicals, and other dangerous products.
What Damages Can You Recover for Wrongful Death?
Economic damages often include lost wages, loss of benefits, any loss of inheritance, and any goods and services the survivor may have contributed in the future. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages that have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions such as emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor in. Some states allow you to claim punitive damages for negligent acts.
Your Sullivan, MO, wrongful death lawyers will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You also need to consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The general rule is you should pursue a case within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a couple of questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Many firms should be able to provide you with client reviews and testimonials.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Sullivan, MO, Today
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our Sullivan, MO, wrongful death attorneys handle a number of other cases too, including:
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer
Our attorneys would be happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it's important to contact our local wrongful death lawyers in Sullivan, MO, as soon as possible if there are financial damages. Legal counsel doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our Sullivan, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to help.