Wrongful Death Attorneys in Wentzville, MO
Call for a Consultation and Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Wentzville, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our team understands that losing a loved one or family member is tragic. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorneys in Wentzville, MO, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages in the case of an unexpected death. This includes car and truck crashes, falls, work-related incidents, medical malpractice, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact our Wentzville, MO, wrongful death attorneys now for a case review and consultation.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
"Who can sue" is a common question from clients. This varies on the state the victim is in and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors are able to sue after a wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support or care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are an average of 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you're financially dependent on someone who has died, it is crucial to reach out to a wrongful death lawyer in Wentzville, MO, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause major harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped clients with these sorts of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the case. Each state has different laws on this, of course. In general, survivors have been potentially victimized by whichever parties are at fault. This includes a driver and that driver's employer, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, government agencies, distributors or manufacturers, a property owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It's essential to contact an experienced Wentzville, MO, wrongful death attorney that will assess the claim and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
A death in the family can cause emotional and financial stress to family members. The causes may range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's no way to tell. A few of the more common causes include:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve anesthesia errors, birth injuries, defective equipment, and nursing home neglect.
- Workplace accidents usually include machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability deaths can be caused due to equipment failure (faulty brakes on a car), lack of a warning systems, chemicals, and other dangerous products.
What Damages Can You Recover for Wrongful Death?
Economic damages can include lost wages, lost benefits, any loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they didn't die. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions like pain and suffering, loss of consortium or love, guidance, and nurturing can all factor into play. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for negligent acts.
Our Wentzville, MO, wrongful death attorneys will calculate these damages and ensure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You also need to consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The general rule is you should pursue a case within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a couple of questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to handle your case.
- What kind of experience do you have? Any firm should be able to provide you with client testimonials and results.
- How much does your firm charge? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Attorney in Wentzville, MO, Today
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. Call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our Wentzville, MO, wrongful death lawyers handle a variety of other cases as well, including:
- Injury Lawyer
- Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Our attorneys would be happy to speak with you. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.
No matter the cause of death, it is essential to contact our local wrongful death lawyers in Wentzville, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal assistance doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our Wentzville, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to help.