Wrongful Death Attorneys in Granite City, IL
Call for a Consultation and Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Granite City, IL. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our firm understands that losing a loved one is difficult and tragic. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorneys in Granite City, IL, Halvorsen Klote is here to help survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes car and truck crashes, falls, work-related incidents, medical malpractice, and others. Families may be able to receive compensation for their loss. Contact Halvorsen Klote's Granite City, IL, wrongful death attorneys today for a case review and consultation.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. This varies on which state the victim died and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors have a chance to sue:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are more than 170,000 unintentional deaths every year in the U.S. If you are a dependent of another person that dies, it is essential to reach out to a wrongful death lawyer in Granite City, IL, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support may cause serious harm and financial stress. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these types of cases. Feel free to view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a number of liable parties depending on the case. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, survivors have been potentially wronged by whichever parties are at fault. This can include a driving company's employer if you're in an auto accident, the contractor responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, manufacturers and distributors, a property owner, and others.
Who's at fault depends on where the accident happened, any liability coverage, and other factors. It is important to reach out to an experienced Granite City, IL, wrongful death attorney that can assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes can range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's just no way to tell. A few of the more common causes include:
- Car and truck accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the U.S.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve anesthesia errors, birth injuries, defective equipment, and nursing home neglect.
- Workplace accidents often include machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability deaths can be caused due to equipment failure (faulty brakes on a car), lack of a warning systems, chemicals, and other dangerous products.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages may include any loss of financial earnings, lost benefits, any loss of inheritance, and any goods and services the survivor may have contributed in the future. You can also include medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions such as pain and suffering, loss of consortium or love, guidance, and nurturing can all factor into play. Some states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Our Granite City, IL, wrongful death lawyers will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state the accident occurred in. The general rule is you should pursue a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- What kind of experience do you have? Any firm should be able to provide you with client reviews and testimonials.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Attorney in Granite City, IL, Today
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case consultation. Our Granite City, IL, wrongful death lawyers handle a variety of other cases as well, including:
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer
- Personal Injury Lawyer
Our lawyers would be happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it is essential to contact our local wrongful death lawyers in Granite City, IL, as soon as possible if there are financial damages. Legal representation doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our Granite City, IL, wrongful death attorneys are here to win.