Wrongful Death Attorneys in Madison, IL
Call for a Consultation and Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Madison, IL. Halvorsen Klote represents clients in the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our team understands that the loss of a loved one or family member is tragic. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death lawyers in Madison, IL, Halvorsen Klote is here to help survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, work-related incidents, falls, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact Halvorsen Klote's Madison, IL, wrongful death attorneys today for a case review and consultation.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. This varies on the state the victim is in and many other factors. In general, the following survivors have a chance to sue:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support or care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are more than 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you're a dependent of someone who dies, it's essential to contact a wrongful death lawyer in Madison, IL, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support may cause major harm and financial stress. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these types of cases. Feel free to view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the case. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, survivors have been potentially victimized by whichever parties are at fault. This can include a driver and that driver's employer, the contractor responsible for any roadwork, an employee, government agencies, distributors or manufacturers, a property owner, and others.
Who's at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It is important to reach out to an experienced Madison, IL, wrongful death attorney that can assess the claim and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes can range from dying in a train accident to a construction platform falling on someone. There's just no way to tell. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve anesthesia errors, birth injuries, defective equipment, and nursing home neglect.
- On-the-job accidents often involve machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
Halvorsen Klote's wrongful death attorneys in Madison, IL, provide experienced legal representation to victims. Read our client testimonials to learn more about our firm. Our attorneys are here to help.
What Damages Can You Recover for Wrongful Death?
Economic damages often include lost wages, loss of benefits, any loss of inheritance, and any goods and services the survivor may have contributed in the future. You can also include medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions such as pain and suffering, loss of consortium or love, guidance, and nurturing can all factor into play. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for negligent acts.
Your Madison, IL, wrongful death attorneys will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You also need to consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The rule of thumb is that you should pursue a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a couple of questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you're contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Any firm should be able to provide you with client reviews and testimonials.
- How much does your firm charge? Lawyer fees are an obvious concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Madison, IL, Now
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case consultation. Our Madison, IL, wrongful death attorneys manage a variety of other cases too, including:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Our firm would be happy to speak with you. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it is crucial to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Madison, IL, right away if there are financial damages. Legal representation doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our Madison, IL, wrongful death attorneys are here to help.