Wrongful Death Attorneys in Jefferson City, MO
Call for a Consultation
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Jefferson City, MO. Halvorsen Klote represents clients in the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our team understands that the loss of a loved one or family member is difficult. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorneys in Jefferson City, MO, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, work-related incidents, falls, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact our Jefferson City, MO, wrongful death attorneys now for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
"Who can sue" is a common question from clients. This depends on the state the victim is in and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors are able to sue after a wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support or care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are an average of 170,000 unintentional deaths every year in the U.S. If you are financially dependent on another person who has died, it's important to contact a wrongful death attorney in Jefferson City, MO, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause major harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped clients with these sorts of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can Be Sued for Wrongful Death?
There's a number of liable parties depending on the incident. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, claimants have been potentially wronged by whichever parties are at fault. This can include a driving company's employer if you're in an auto accident, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, manufacturers and distributors, a property owner, and others.
Who's at fault depends on where the accident happened, any liability coverage, and other factors. It is important to contact an experienced Jefferson City, MO, wrongful death attorney that will assess the claim and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes can range from dying in a train accident to a construction platform falling on someone. There's just no way to tell. A few of the more common causes include:
- Car and truck accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths every year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- Workplace accidents usually include machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
Halvorsen Klote's wrongful death lawyers in Jefferson City, MO, provide valuable legal representation to victims. View our client testimonials to learn more about our firm. Our attorneys are here to help.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages may include any loss of financial earnings, loss of benefits, any loss of inheritance, and any goods and services the survivor may have contributed in the future. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions like emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor into play. Some states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Your Jefferson City, MO, wrongful death attorneys will calculate these damages and ensure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You also need to consider statutes of limitations in the state the accident occurred in. The general rule is you should pursue a case within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you work with? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Any firm should be able to provide you with case results and reviews.
- How much does your firm charge? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Reach Out To a Wrongful Death Attorney in Jefferson City, MO, Today
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our Jefferson City, MO, wrongful death attorneys manage a number of other cases as well, including:
- Injury Lawyer
- Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Our lawyers would be happy to speak with you. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it is important to contact our local wrongful death lawyers in Jefferson City, MO, as soon as possible if there are financial damages. Legal assistance doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our Jefferson City, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to win.