Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chesterfield, MO
Call for a Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chesterfield, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our team knows that losing a loved one is difficult. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorneys in Chesterfield, MO, Halvorsen Klote is here to help survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes car and truck crashes, falls, work-related incidents, medical malpractice, and others. Families may be able to receive compensation for their loss. Contact Halvorsen Klote's Chesterfield, MO, wrongful death attorneys now for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
"Who can sue" is a common question from clients. The answer varies on the state the victim is in and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors have a chance to sue:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are more than 170,000 unintentional deaths every year in the U.S. If you are a dependent of someone who has died, it is essential to reach out to a wrongful death attorney in Chesterfield, MO, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause major harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these types of cases. Feel free to view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the case. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, claimants have been potentially wronged by whichever parties are at fault. This can include a driver and that driver's employer, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, government agencies, distributors or manufacturers, a building owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on where the accident happened, any liability coverage, and other factors. It's essential to contact an experienced Chesterfield, MO, wrongful death attorney that will assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes may range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's no way to tell. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Car and truck accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the U.S.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve anesthesia errors, birth injuries, defective equipment, and nursing home neglect.
- On-the-job accidents usually include machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability deaths can be caused due to equipment failure (faulty brakes on a car), lack of a warning systems, chemicals, and other dangerous products.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages can include any loss of financial earnings, loss of benefits, any loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they didn't die. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages are more complicated. Non-economic repercussions like emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor into play. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Our Chesterfield, MO, wrongful death lawyers will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The general rule is you should pursue a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer
There are a few things you should look for before you hire an attorney to represent your case. Below are a couple of questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you're contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Many firms should be able to provide you with client testimonials and results.
- How much does your firm charge? Lawyer fees are an obvious concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Chesterfield, MO, Now
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. Call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our Chesterfield, MO, wrongful death attorneys handle a variety of other cases too, including:
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer
- Personal Injury Lawyer
Our lawyers would be happy to speak with you. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it is crucial to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Chesterfield, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal representation doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Chesterfield, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to help.