Wrongful Death Attorneys in Harrisburg, MO
Call for a Case Review and Consultation
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Harrisburg, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our team understands that losing a family member is difficult. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death lawyers in Harrisburg, MO, Halvorsen Klote is here to help survivors recover any financial damages in the case of an unexpected death. This includes vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, work-related incidents, falls, and others. Families may be able to receive compensation for their loss. Contact our Harrisburg, MO, wrongful death attorneys now for a case review and consultation.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. The answer depends on the state the victim is in and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors are usually able to sue for wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are an average of 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you're financially dependent on another person that dies, it's essential to contact a wrongful death attorney in Harrisburg, MO, as soon as you can. Losing income, childcare, and other support may cause serious harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these types of cases. Feel free to view our testimonials here.
Who Can Be Sued for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the case. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, survivors have been potentially victimized by whichever parties are at fault. This can include a driver and that driver's employer, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, manufacturers and distributors, a building owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It is important to contact an experienced Harrisburg, MO, wrongful death attorney that will assess the claim and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
A death in the family can cause emotional and financial stress to family members. The causes may range from dying in a train accident to a construction platform falling on someone. There's no way to tell. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths every year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- Workplace accidents often involve machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability deaths can be caused due to equipment failure (faulty brakes on a car), lack of a warning systems, chemicals, and other dangerous products.
What Damages Can You Recover for Wrongful Death?
Economic damages can include lost wages, lost benefits, any loss of inheritance, and any goods and services the survivor may have contributed in the future. You can also include medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions like pain and suffering, loss of consortium or love, guidance, and nurturing can all factor into play. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Your Harrisburg, MO, wrongful death lawyers will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state the accident occurred in. The rule of thumb is that you should file a case within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a couple of questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you're contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- What kind of experience do you have? Many firms should be able to provide you with client testimonials and results.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Reach Out To a Wrongful Death Attorney in Harrisburg, MO, Now
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. Call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our Harrisburg, MO, wrongful death lawyers manage a number of other cases as well, including:
- Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Lawyer
Our attorneys would be happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.
No matter the cause of death, it is essential to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Harrisburg, MO, as soon as possible if there are financial damages. Legal counsel doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Harrisburg, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to win.