Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Harrisburg, MO
Harrisburg, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Harrisburg, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Harrisburg, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for the mind and body. But on too many occasions, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We offer expert legal representation the injured and vulnerable in Harrisburg, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an experienced and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Harrisburg, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Harrisburg, MO to secure the optimal result. A personal injury lawyer in Harrisburg, MO can give support in a multitude of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are legally owed
- Finding supplementary insurance coverage if your damages exceed the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law fairly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance representative can feel disheartening. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do anything they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing scant about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to pay as minimal money as possible. We'll guarantee they understand their legal responsibility to reimburse you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are novice with injury claims can make mistakes or neglect important steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a asset, not a disadvantage.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on healing.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, examine medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as interview witnesses who can corroborate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more evidence is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to get maximum compensation.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if fault isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned personal injury lawyers in your corner to file a lawsuit and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Harrisburg, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can fight for you for the duration of your case, from initial case review through a jury or bench trial.
Harrisburg, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which lead to 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Nationawide, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for more than two percent of traffice-related deaths. The deviation points to the ruinous damage people can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Harrisburg, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver negligence or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents between intersections are more severe because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Harrisburg, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Harrisburg, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in permanent consequences. We've helped secure the best possible compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the severity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need experienced and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Harrisburg, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Harrisburg, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your injuries. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any other vehicle, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as respecting bike lanes. Following the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Component
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, you can make a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue arises. If they don't, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than regulations allow, they would be responsible for a portion of your compensation.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Harrisburg, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections caused your accident, your Harrisburg, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so an attorney is vital to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who cause an accident while driving within the scope of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover for My Harrisburg, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that determine what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, and you should receive all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to more money than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Was the accident severe enough to require a knee replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Harrisburg, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the physical and emotional burdens caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An experienced and skilled Harrisburg, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Harrisburg, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is comfortable.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies usually have much more. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially liable, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if it is determined that your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your compensation would be lowered by $30,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent responsible.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Harrisburg, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Harrisburg, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several steps you should take to help you heal physically and optimize your compensation.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Get Medical Attention
If you can, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could exacerbate your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, go to the emergency room or urgent care after authorities tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, see your general practitioner as soon as you can. If you don't have medical documentation of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in proving how the other drive caused your injuries. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't admit fault or over-embellish what happened. Be truthful, but don't say anything beyond the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't specifically ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can reach out to them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be a lowball offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. Many injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always advisable to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Harrisburg, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Harrisburg, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Harrisburg, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their abilities to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they are entitled to. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Harrisburg, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.