Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Chesterfield, MO
Chesterfield, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Chesterfield, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Chesterfield, MO. Riding a bicycle is a great way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We serve clients in Chesterfield, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a qualified and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Chesterfield, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto wrecks in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which lead to 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both states, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, each year they account for more than twice that in traffic accident deaths. The deviation points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Chesterfield, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver error or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly marked construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that "midblock" accidents cause more severe injuries because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Chesterfield, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a comprehensive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Chesterfield, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Chesterfield, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need accomplished and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Chesterfield, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Chesterfield, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your accident. Each claim is different, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone hits you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. According to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Parts
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as headlights, you can seek a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they fail to, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Chesterfield, MO roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole contributed to your accident, your Chesterfield, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own regulations for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Chesterfield, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The scope of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a a visit or two with your primary care doctor. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Chesterfield, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it painful to sleep in certain positions? An accomplished and talented Chesterfield, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a construction worker who sustained a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Chesterfield, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 30 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is comfortable.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Chesterfield, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that large corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should be able to depend on the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Chesterfield, MO:
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Chesterfield, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is confusing, infuriating and leads to a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Chesterfield, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their abilities to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they get all the money they deserve. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Chesterfield, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.