Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Chesterfield, MO
Chesterfield, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Chesterfield, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Chesterfield, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for the mind and body. But too often, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to stand by your side. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to the injured and vulnerable in Chesterfield, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Chesterfield, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Chesterfield, MO to secure the best possible outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Chesterfield, MO can provide assistance in a variety of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you increase your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages surpass the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law truthfully and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless insurance representative can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid accepting that responsibility.
Insurance companies often depend on claimants knowing limited about injury and accident law to pay as little money as feasible. We'll guarantee they understand their lawful responsibility to reimburse you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including gathering evidence, deposing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are novice with injury claims can make errors or overlook critical details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a asset, not a weakness.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle ensuring your compensation while you focus on healing.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more complex to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, examine medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can support your story. The greater complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Experienced bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if fault isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned personal injury lawyers in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Chesterfield, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from our first consultation through a jury or bench trial.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Chesterfield, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto crashes in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle collisions, which resulted in 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes happen at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, each year they account for over twice that in traffic accident fatalities. The discrepancy speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Chesterfield, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents on the side of the road cause more severe injuries because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Chesterfield, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a comprehensive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Chesterfield, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Chesterfield, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need skilled and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Chesterfield, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Chesterfield, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the causes of your accident. Each case is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is liable, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any other vehicle, and if you are injured by a motorist the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. According to the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car Component
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as headlights, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform drug tests, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Municipal entities both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Chesterfield, MO roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections caused your accident, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Chesterfield, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is vital to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
What Are My Chesterfield, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic loss and other factors:
- The severity of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Chesterfield, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional well-being — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the physical and emotional burdens caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it painful to sleep in certain positions? A seasoned and knowledgeable Chesterfield, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a construction worker who sustained a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Chesterfield, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is comfortable.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative fault, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially to blame, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. So if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Chesterfield, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. Our practice is founded on the idea that everyone has has a right to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Chesterfield, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several steps you should take to help you get better physically and enhance your compensation.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Seek Medical Treatment
If you're able to, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after authorities tell you you can leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, make an appointment with your general practitioner as soon as you can. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to get compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing the other party's liability. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't confess fault or over-embellish your actions. Be truthful, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't offer any information they don't directly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be a lowball offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. Most injury attorneys offer free consultations, so it's always advisable to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
See some of the other cases we take on in Chesterfield, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Chesterfield, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Chesterfield, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their practice to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they recover all the money they are entitled to. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Chesterfield, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.