What to Do After a Car Accident in Chesterfield, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Chesterfield, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Chesterfield, MO. Car accidents are all too common in the modern world. They can happen to anyone, at any time, and can cause considerable physical, emotional and financial hardships. If you were injured through no fault of your own, it's important to know what steps to take to protect yourself. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Chesterfield, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our practice to ensuring everyday people in Chesterfield, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that massive corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Chesterfield, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be confusing. However, it's important to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel right away and render aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Don't leave the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of this isn't to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take photos — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Chesterfield, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Chesterfield, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance company.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you speak with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by another driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your legal rights. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Chesterfield, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Chesterfield, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are significant, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you receive the best possible compensation and protect your future.
There are many situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Chesterfield, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Chesterfield, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Chesterfield, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will fight on your behalf and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Chesterfield, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can determine the full value of your claim to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Chesterfield, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the legal process. An experienced Chesterfield, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Chesterfield, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable guidance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Chesterfield, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Chesterfield, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Chesterfield, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving high-quality legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Chesterfield, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.