What to Do After a Car Accident in Winfield, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Winfield, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Winfield, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately ubiquitous in the modern world. They are always unexpected, and can lead to ruinous physical, emotional and economic damage. If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to know what steps to take to get the full and fair compensation you're owed. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Winfield, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our practice to ensuring everyday people in Winfield, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal representation that large insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case for free.
In the Moments Right After Your Car Accident in Winfield, MO
Being in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's important to stay calm and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call for emergency personnel immediately and render aid if you are able.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to determine fault in a car accident. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Winfield, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Winfield, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the financial recovery are legally entitled to. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't say anything before you speak with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt in the accident, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you understand the legal process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your future. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Winfield, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Winfield, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are severe, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you receive fair compensation and protect your rights.
There are many situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Winfield, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If there is disagreement over who is at fault for the accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Winfield, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Winfield, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Winfield, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Winfield, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any concerns you may have about the legal process. An experienced Winfield, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Winfield, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial aid after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Winfield, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Winfield, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Winfield, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving the highest standard of legal advocacy to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Winfield, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.