Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Winfield, MO
Winfield, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Winfield, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Winfield, MO. Riding a bicycle is a wonderful way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too often, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything that you were supposed to, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We offer expert legal representation the injured and vulnerable in Winfield, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a qualified and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Winfield, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Winfield, MO to guarantee the optimal result. A personal injury lawyer in Winfield, MO can give support in a range of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are legally owed
- Finding extra insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law honestly and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate claims adjuster can feel defeating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing limited about injury and accident law to offer as minimal money as possible. We'll ensure they understand their legal duty to pay you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complex legal processes, including gathering evidence, interviewing people who saw the accident, examining medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make mistakes or neglect critical steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a asset, not a disadvantage.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, review medical records, and establish a connection your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can corroborate your story. The more complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to get maximum compensation.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to contest against your rights. That's why you need seasoned injury attorneys in your corner to bring a legal action and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Winfield, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side for the duration of your case, from initial case review through a jury verdict.
Winfield, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in traffic accidents across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which resulted in 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
Nationawide, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American travelers and commuters, each year they account for over twice that in traffic accident deaths. The deviation points to the ruinous damage people can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Winfield, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist negligence or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents on the side of the road are more severe because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Winfield, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Winfield, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Winfield, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need skilled and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Winfield, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who is At Fault for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Winfield, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the specifics of your case. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as an operator of any passenger car, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone hits you because they were driving under the influence, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as allowing at least three feet of space when passing. Following the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car Component
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as steering systems, you can make a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they don't, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than the law permits, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Winfield, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections played a part in your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Winfield, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is imperative to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Winfield, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic loss and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a an appointment or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Winfield, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the physical and emotional hardships caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. After years of playing piano, is it hard to sit up straight on the bench now? An experienced and knowledgeable Winfield, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you need to be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a construction worker who suffered a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Winfield, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 50 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been severely compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your compensation would be lowered by $30,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Winfield, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence has a right to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Winfield, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several things you should do to help you recover physically and optimize your compensation.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Get Medical Treatment
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could exacerbate your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, wait for emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, go to the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go the same day, see your primary care physician as soon as you can. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to obtain compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing how the other drive caused the accident. Police are trained to assign fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't admit fault or over-explain your actions. Be truthful, but don't say anything beyond the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't directly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident location, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can reach out to them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. Many injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always recommended to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Winfield, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Winfield, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is confusing, infuriating and creates a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Winfield, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their careers to standing up for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get all the money they are entitled to. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Winfield, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.