Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Winfield, MO
Winfield, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Winfield, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Winfield, MO. Riding a bicycle can inspire a wonderful sense of freedom. But on too many occasions, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We offer expert legal representation clients in Winfield, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an experienced and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Winfield, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic accidents nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which caused 351 injuries and six deaths, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle collisions 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
In both states, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes occur at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, annually they account for more than twice that in traffic accident deaths. The discrepancy points to the ruinous damage drivers can cause when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Winfield, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that "midblock" accidents are more severe because of the higher speeds involved. Your Winfield, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Winfield, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Winfield, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need experienced and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Winfield, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Winfield, MO?
Who is responsible depends on the causes of your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any other vehicle, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were driving drunk, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as respecting bike lanes. Following the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car Component
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, you can seek a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls if a safety hazard arises. If they don't, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than regulations allow, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Governmental entities both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Winfield, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as cracked pavement played a part in your accident, your Winfield, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own rules for maintaining safe roads. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover for My Winfield, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — More debilitating injuries lead to higher medical costs, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a a visit or two with your primary care doctor. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Winfield, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it a grind just to bring the groceries in? An accomplished and talented Winfield, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Winfield, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is secure.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies usually have much more. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be lowered by $30,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Winfield, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Winfield, MO:
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Winfield, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Winfield, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their practice to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive all the money they deserve. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Winfield, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.