What to Do After a Car Accident in Shrewsbury, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Shrewsbury, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Shrewsbury, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of the modern world. They happen without any notice, and can lead to significant physical, mental and financial hardships. If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to know what to do next to get the full and fair compensation you deserve. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Shrewsbury, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our careers to ensuring everyday people in Shrewsbury, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal representation that large insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Shrewsbury, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be staggering. However, it's essential to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel right away and render aid if you can.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of this isn't to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Shrewsbury, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Shrewsbury, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the financial recovery you deserve. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt by another driver, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you understand the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in asking us to look over your case, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think you are owed much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being being injured in a car accident can be an overwhelming experience, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your future. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Shrewsbury, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Shrewsbury, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are significant, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you get full compensation and defend your rights.
There are many circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Shrewsbury, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver is blaming you for your injuries, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If you were involved in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can help you navigate the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Shrewsbury, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Shrewsbury, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Shrewsbury, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Shrewsbury, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any concerns you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Shrewsbury, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Shrewsbury, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable assistance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Shrewsbury, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we handle in Shrewsbury, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Shrewsbury, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving the highest standard of legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Shrewsbury, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.