What to Do After a Car Accident in Troy, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Troy, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Troy, MO. Car accidents are all too common in the modern world. They happen without any notice, and can lead to significant physical, mental and economic hardships. If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to know what steps to take to get the full and fair financial recovery you're owed. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Troy, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our practice to ensuring that those injured in Troy, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that powerful corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Troy, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's imperative to stay calm and take the following steps:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call 911 right away and give first aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to assign blame in a car accident. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about your actions.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Troy, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Troy, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the financial recovery are legally entitled to. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance company.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt by another driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you understand the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect yourself. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Troy, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Troy, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are significant, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you get fair compensation and protect your future.
There are several circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Troy, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The other insurance company will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If you were injured in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Troy, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The only way to really know if you need a lawyer is to speak to one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Troy, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Troy, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will stand by your side and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Troy, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and acquire other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company for you ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Troy, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Troy, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Troy, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable guidance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Troy, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Troy, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Troy, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving great legal advocacy to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Troy, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.