What to Do After a Car Accident in Holts Summit, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Holts Summit, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Holts Summit, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately commonplace in the modern world. They happen without any notice, and can lead to devastating physical, emotional and financial hardships. If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to know what steps to take to protect your future. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Holts Summit, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring everyday people in Holts Summit, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Holts Summit, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's imperative to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call 911 right away and provide medical attention if you know how to.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Take pictures — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Holts Summit, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Holts Summit, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident scene, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the compensation are owed. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by a negligent driver, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you understand the injury claim process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think you are owed much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a traumatic experience, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your legal rights. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Holts Summit, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Holts Summit, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are significant, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you receive fair compensation and defend your rights.
There are many circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Holts Summit, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If there is disagreement over who caused accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Holts Summit, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to consult with one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Holts Summit, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Holts Summit, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will be your legal advocate and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Holts Summit, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can determine the extent of all your damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Holts Summit, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the legal process. An experienced Holts Summit, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Holts Summit, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial aid after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Holts Summit, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Holts Summit, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Holts Summit, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving the highest standard of legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Holts Summit, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.