Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Holts Summit, MO
Holts Summit, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Holts Summit, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Holts Summit, MO. Riding a bicycle can inspire a wonderful sense of freedom. But too often, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Holts Summit, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a qualified and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Holts Summit, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Holts Summit, MO to guarantee the ideal outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Holts Summit, MO can offer help in a variety of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are legally owed
- Finding supplementary insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law honestly and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate claims adjuster can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often depend on claimants knowing limited about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to provide as few money as possible. We'll ensure they understand their lawful obligation to reimburse you for each your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complex legal processes, including gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, examining medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make errors or overlook critical steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a disadvantage.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, analyze medical records, and link your injuries to your accident, as well as depose witnesses who can corroborate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to locate the evidence needed to get a full financial recovery.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if responsibility isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned personal injury lawyers in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and bring them to trial if necessary.
As experienced Holts Summit, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from our first consultation through a jury verdict.
Holts Summit, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in auto accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which lead to 351 injuries and six deaths, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle collisions 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
Nationawide, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, annually they account for more than two percent of motor vehicle fatalities. The deviation speaks to the ruinous damage motorists can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Holts Summit, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that "midblock" accidents cause more significant injuries because of the higher speeds involved. Your Holts Summit, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Holts Summit, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. We've helped secure the best possible financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because of the seriousness of the bicycle accident injuries, you need skilled and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Holts Summit, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Holts Summit, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your case. Each case is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. You may be able to seek compensation from:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But have the same right to the road as the driver of any passenger car, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as allowing at least three feet of space when passing. Pursuant to the legal theory of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Motor Vehicle Parts
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as steering systems, you can make a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they fail to, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than the law permits, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Agency
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Holts Summit, MO roadways. If a hazard such as cracked pavement contributed to your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Holts Summit, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not granted sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Holts Summit, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The extent of your injuries — More significant injuries lead to higher medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Holts Summit, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it a grind just to bring the groceries in? An experienced and talented Holts Summit, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Holts Summit, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially liable, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent to blame.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Holts Summit, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should be able to lean on the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Holts Summit, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and confusing, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Treatment
If you're able to, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, visit the emergency room or urgent care after authorities tell you you can leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, make an appointment with your primary care physician as soon as you can. If you don't have records from a physician of your injuries, you won't be able to receive compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in demonstrating how the other drive caused the accident. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't admit fault or over-embellish what happened. Be truthful, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't directly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can contact them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an unfairly low offer. They want you to settle before you become aware of the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. Most injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always advisable to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Holts Summit, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Holts Summit, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Holts Summit, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their careers to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Holts Summit, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.