Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Holts Summit, MO
Holts Summit, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Holts Summit, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Holts Summit, MO. Riding a bicycle can inspire a wonderful sense of freedom. But on too many occasions, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to the injured and vulnerable in Holts Summit, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to an accomplished and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Holts Summit, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in auto crashes across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which lead to 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, each year they account for more than two percent of traffic accident fatalities. The discrepancy points to the ruinous damage motorists can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Holts Summit, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist merely did not see a bicyclist. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents between intersections do more damage because of the higher speeds involved. Your Holts Summit, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Holts Summit, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Holts Summit, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need knowledgeable and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Holts Summit, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Holts Summit, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the specifics of your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is to blame, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But the road is for everyone, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone injures you because they were texting and driving, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as yielding to bicyclist when turning. Under the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a state statute. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Car Parts
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as steering systems, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they fail to, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform drug tests, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Holts Summit, MO roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections played a part in your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Holts Summit, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is imperative for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, according to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Holts Summit, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- The severity of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, and you should receive all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Holts Summit, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Does your wrist lock when you try to play the guitar? An experienced and knowledgeable Holts Summit, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Holts Summit, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially to blame, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. So if it is determined that your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering come to $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Holts Summit, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that large corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Holts Summit, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Holts Summit, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, infuriating and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Holts Summit, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their lives to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they recover the full compensation they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Holts Summit, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.