What to Do After a Car Accident in Concord, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Concord, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Concord, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately commonplace in the modern world. They happen without any notice, and can lead to significant physical, mental and financial hardships. If you find yourself in a car accident, it's important to know what steps to take to protect your future. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Concord, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our practice to ensuring that those injured in Concord, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal representation that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in Concord, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be staggering. However, it's crucial to stay calm and do the following:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or unconscious, call 911 immediately and give first aid if you can.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Don't leave the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to assign blame in a car accident. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Concord, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Concord, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the compensation are legally entitled to. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Certain injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance company.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by a negligent driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you understand the injury claim process and ensure that your rights are protected. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think you are owed much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following the above steps, you can help protect your future. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Concord, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Concord, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you get fair compensation and defend your rights.
There are numerous circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Concord, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one died in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Concord, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The only way to really know if you need a lawyer is to talk to one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Concord, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Concord, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will be your legal advocate and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Concord, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and acquire other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Concord, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any concerns you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced Concord, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Concord, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable guidance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Concord, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Concord, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Concord, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving high-quality legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Concord, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.