Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Concord, MO
Concord, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Concord, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Concord, MO. Riding a bicycle is a great way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Concord, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Concord, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in auto accidents across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which lead to 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than two percent of motor vehicle deaths. The deviation points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Concord, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly marked construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that "midblock" accidents do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Concord, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Concord, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Concord, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need skilled and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Concord, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Concord, MO?
Who is liable depends on the causes of your accident. Each injury is different, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were driving under the influence, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Pursuant to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Component
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as brakes, you can file a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they don't, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Concord, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting contributed to your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Concord, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is crucial for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Concord, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that determine what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More significant injuries lead to higher medical costs, which you will be compensated for. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Concord, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An accomplished and knowledgeable Concord, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a back injury in a bicycle accident in Concord, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 30 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies usually have much more. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if it is determined that your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering come to $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent liable.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Concord, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has has a right to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Concord, MO:
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Concord, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is confusing, infuriating and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Concord, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their lives to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they recover all the money they are owed. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Concord, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.