What to Do After a Car Accident in O'Fallon, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | O'Fallon, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in O'Fallon, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately ubiquitous in modern society. They can happen in the blink of an eye, and can cause significant physical, mental and economic burdens. If you were injured by a negligent driver, you need to know what steps to take to get the full and fair financial recovery you deserve. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in O'Fallon, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our practice to ensuring that those injured in O'Fallon, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal representation that powerful corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in O'Fallon, MO
Being in a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's crucial to keep your wits about you and take the following steps:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or unconscious, call 911 right away and render aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, move your car to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of calling the police isn't to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine fault in a car accident. Their report is essential for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when seeking compensation.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about your actions.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in O'Fallon, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your O'Fallon, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the compensation are legally entitled to. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and communications with the insurance company.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't say anything before you consult with with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by a negligent driver, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the legal process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in asking us to look over your case, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your legal rights. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My O'Fallon, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in O'Fallon, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are severe, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you get the best possible compensation and protect your rights.
There are numerous situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in O'Fallon, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If there is disagreement over who is at fault for the accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in O'Fallon, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The only way to truly know if you need a lawyer is to talk to one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote O'Fallon, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in O'Fallon, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented O'Fallon, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your O'Fallon, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any concerns you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced O'Fallon, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced O'Fallon, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial aid after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in O'Fallon, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in O'Fallon, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in O'Fallon, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving high-quality legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote O'Fallon, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.