What to Do After a Car Accident in Moscow Mills, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Moscow Mills, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Moscow Mills, MO. Car accidents are all too common in today's world. They can happen to anyone, at any time, and can lead to ruinous physical, mental and economic burdens. If you were injured by a negligent driver, it's important to know what steps to take to get the full and fair compensation you're owed. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Moscow Mills, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our careers to ensuring everyday people in Moscow Mills, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same expert legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Moscow Mills, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's crucial to stay calm and take the steps outlined below:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and render aid if you can.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report is essential for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when filing your claim.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about what you did leading up the crash.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Moscow Mills, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Moscow Mills, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your legal rights. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Some injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by a negligent driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in asking us to look over your case, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following the above steps, you can help protect your financial well-being as it relates to the accident. If the insurance company won't be fair, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Moscow Mills, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Moscow Mills, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you receive fair compensation and protect your future.
There are numerous situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Moscow Mills, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If there is disagreement over who caused accident, a lawyer can help you acquire evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If you were injured in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love passed away in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Moscow Mills, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Moscow Mills, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Moscow Mills, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and acquire other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company for you ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Moscow Mills, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced Moscow Mills, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Moscow Mills, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial guidance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Moscow Mills, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Moscow Mills, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Moscow Mills, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving high-quality legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Moscow Mills, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.