Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Moscow Mills, MO
Moscow Mills, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Moscow Mills, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Moscow Mills, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for our physical and mental well-being. But on too many occasions, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Moscow Mills, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a qualified and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Moscow Mills, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Moscow Mills, MO to ensure the optimal outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Moscow Mills, MO can offer help in a range of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law truthfully and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless insurance representative can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing very little about injury and accident law to offer as few money as achievable. We'll ensure they understand their lawful duty to compensate you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complex legal processes, including collecting evidence, deposing witnesses, examining medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are unfamiliar with injury claims can make errors or overlook important details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a weakness.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle obtaining your compensation while you focus on healing.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more complex to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interview witnesses, examine medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as interview witnesses who can validate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Experienced bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to get a full financial recovery.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if responsibility isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to file a lawsuit and bring them to trial if necessary.
As experienced Moscow Mills, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from initial case review through a jury verdict.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Moscow Mills, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle wrecks nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which resulted in 351 injuries and six deaths, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which lead to 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes occur at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, annually they account for more than twice that in traffice-related fatalities. The disparity points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Moscow Mills, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist simply did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that "midblock" accidents do more damage because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Moscow Mills, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Moscow Mills, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure the best possible financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need experienced and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Moscow Mills, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Moscow Mills, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the specifics of your case. Each accident is different, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and make each of them compensate you based on how much of the accident was their fault. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any passenger car, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone injures you because they were texting and driving, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. According to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will be more honest in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Component
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as tires, you can make a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Moscow Mills, MO roadways. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting played a part in your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Moscow Mills, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who injure somebody while driving within the course of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Moscow Mills, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that determine what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The severity of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Moscow Mills, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and mental health — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Does your wrist spasm when you try to play the guitar? An accomplished and knowledgeable Moscow Mills, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you will be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a construction worker who sustained a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Moscow Mills, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 25 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is secure.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Moscow Mills, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should be able to depend on the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Moscow Mills, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be scary and confusing, but there are several things you should do to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Get Medical Treatment
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could make your injuries worse. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, hold out for emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, go to the emergency room or urgent care after law enforcement tell you you can leave the scene. If you didn't go the same day, schedule a visit to your primary care physician as soon as possible. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to obtain compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing how the other drive caused the accident. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-embellish what happened. Be truthful, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. Most injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always advisable to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Moscow Mills, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Moscow Mills, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Moscow Mills, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their lives to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they get all the money they deserve. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Moscow Mills, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.