Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Moscow Mills, MO
Moscow Mills, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Moscow Mills, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Moscow Mills, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too frequently, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Moscow Mills, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to an experienced and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Moscow Mills, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle accidents across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which lead to 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both states, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes occur at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for over twice that in traffice-related fatalities. The discrepancy speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Moscow Mills, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist merely was not paying attention. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically causes bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents between intersections cause more serious injuries because of the higher speeds involved. Your Moscow Mills, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Moscow Mills, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in permanent disability. We've helped secure great compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need experienced and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Moscow Mills, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is Responsible for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Moscow Mills, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that led to your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is to blame, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone injures you because they were driving drunk, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Following the legal theory of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Component
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as headlights, you can file a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Moscow Mills, MO roadways. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting played a part in your accident, your Moscow Mills, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own regulations for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
What Are My Moscow Mills, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More serious injuries lead to higher medical expenses, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to more money than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Moscow Mills, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the physical and emotional hardships caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful to sleep in certain positions? An accomplished and talented Moscow Mills, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a construction worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Moscow Mills, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 25 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially liable, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. Meaning, if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Moscow Mills, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Moscow Mills, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Moscow Mills, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Moscow Mills, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their profession to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they recover all the money they are owed. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Moscow Mills, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.