Premises Liability Attorneys Moscow Mills, MO
Moscow Mills, MO Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Moscow Mills, MO Slip and Fall Attorneys
Premises liability attorneys in Moscow Mills, MO. Property owners in Moscow Mills, MO have a responsibility to take reasonable measures to prevent people who enter the premises from becoming hurt. But too often, they fail in that responsibility, and innocent people are injured through no fault of their own. If you or a loved one was injured on public or private property, you need experienced Moscow Mills, MO premises liability attorneys to get you the full financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, our attorneys are dedicated to leveling the playing field between large corporations and insurance companies and injury victims every day. We take cases in both Missouri and Illinois, and fight hard so our clients can finally get a sense of justice and recognition. Call our premises liability attorneys today 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.
What Are the Premises Liability Laws in Missouri and Illinois?
The laws in each state are largely similar: A property owner has a duty to inform people of or fix a "dangerous condition" they either were aware of or should have known of through reasonable care. If they neglect that responsibility, they are responsible for any injuries sustained as a result of the dangerous condition.
The states do differ in one key aspect, and it concerns the duty of care owed to different categories of visitors.
Types of Visitors in Moscow Mills, MO Premises Liability Cases
The law differentiates between three classes of visitors in premises liability claims:
- Invitees — A business invitee is someone who is on the property to benefit themselves and/or the proprietor. This can be people dining at a restaurant or someone watching a movie at a movie theater. A public invitee is someone on property that the public can access, for example a park or a library. Those in control of the property can be held accountable for an invitee's injuries caused by dangers they knew about or should have known about.
- Licensees — A licensee is someone who is on the property with the owner's consent, but the owner doesn't get any express benefit from their presence. These can be social guests, but the law might apply to someone who came into an establishment just to ask for directions. In Illinois, licensees have the same rights as invitees. In Missouri, property owners can only be held accountable for dangers they had express knowledge of – not ones they "should have known about.
- Trespassers — Trespassers are on the property without permission of the property owner. Therefore, they do not have the same rights as invitees and licensees, meaning they can't make a claim to get compensated for their injuries. There are a couple of exceptions:
- Under the Illinois Premises Liability Act and Missouri Revised Statute §537.349, property owners are not immune from liability if they acted with "willful and wanton conduct." Meaning, if the owner created or maintained a hazardous condition because they wanted trespassers to get hurt, they can still be held liable.
- Under the attractive nuisance doctrine, property owners might be liable if a child gets hurt while trespassing. An "attractive nuisance" is something that is likely to attract children. Examples could be swimming pools, trampolines or old appliances. In this instance, the family of the child may still make a claim against the landowner for the child's injuries.
Proving Your Premises Liability Claim in Moscow Mills, MO
In any personal injury case, you must demonstrate how the four elements of negligence apply to your injuries:
- Duty of care — Did the landowner have an obligation to protect you from unreasonable dangers? The degree of a landowner's responsibility to keep you safe depends on whether you're a invitee, licensee or trespasser and what state you're in. Generally, anybody who is allowed to be on the property is owed a duty of care.
- Breach of duty — If they fail in their responsibility, property owners are considered to have breached their duty. That could mean not mopping up a wet spot on the floor, or not putting a "wet floor" sign out.
- Causation — Did the hazardous condition directly cause your injuries? If you fell because somebody ran into you, you may not be able to show that the property owner was negligent. Likewise, if you didn't see warning signs because you were looking at your phone, the property owner may argue that your inattention caused your injuries, not the hazard.
- Damages — In order to make a claim, you need to show that you suffered injuries, loss and other expenses. Usually, you need to show financial harm, such as lost wages and medical bills, to make a claim for emotional harm and pain and suffering. If you sustained a bruise, but didn't need medical attention or miss any time off work, you may not have a valid claim.
Halvorsen Klote's Moscow Mills, MO premises liability attorneys have gotten great results for our clients in a variety of cases. If you have any doubts about the validity of your claim, or have questions about filing a personal injury lawsuit, don't hesitate to speak to one of our attorneys for free today at 866-382-4167.
Types of Premises Liability Accidents in Moscow Mills, MO
Slip and Falls
Falling is accounts for 33% of all nonfatal preventable injuries. Slip and falls account for 12% of total falls that lead to emergency room visits, and are the number one reason people need to lose days from work.
Slip and falls can be caused by:
- Wet or oily floors
- Broken staircases, handrails or floors
- Ice or snow
- Loose cords
- Uneven flooring, rugs or carpeting
These cases often arise in apartment buildings, offices or hotels. The owners of these properties must take reasonable steps to ensure that dangerous people don't have access to the building, or certain areas of it. Examples of adequate security could include security guards or needing a code to enter the property. Typically, negligent security claims occur after someone has been the victim of a crime. While the criminal justice system may secure a conviction of the offender, you'll usually need to take civil legal action – with the aid of premises liable attorneys – against a property owner to be compensated financially for your injuries and emotional anguish.
Swimming Pool and Amusement Park Accidents
Swimming pool accidents usually happen to children. Drowning is the leading cause of death to children under the age of five. Public swimming pools must be properly supervised, and barriers and lifejacket rules should also be in place to help protect children.
In 2016, over 30,000 people sought emergency medical attention for injuries sustained at amusement parks. Injuries can be caused by mechanical issues, operator error, collisions, ride ejections, electrician structural issues. Amusement park owners must ensure that the rides meet safety requirements. If they didn't and you ended up injured, our Moscow Mills, MO premises liability attorneys will hold them accountable.
Fire and Smoke Injuries
There are strict laws for smoke detectors and fire exits in public, private and business properties. Fires can cause terrible injuries and lifelong scarring, and even the inhalation of smoke can create substantial health risks. If a property owner did not adhere to local fire codes, your Moscow Mills, MO premises liability lawyers at Halvorsen Klote can hold them liable for any injuries you sustain. Liability can occur because of a variety of factors, from blocked exits to missing or broken sprinkler systems.
Construction companies have a duty to keep their construction zones safe. If you were hurt in a construction site accident in a slip and fall, car accident or by falling debris because the site was dangerous, you can hold the construction company responsible for premises liability.
However you sustained your injuries, if you were injured on someone else's property or in a public space, call Halvorsen Klote's Moscow Mills, MO premises liability attorneys for the maximum compensation you're entitled to.
What Compensation Can I Recover For My Moscow Mills, MO Premises Liability Injuries?
How much your injuries worth depends on the financial, physical and emotional toll your accident caused. With talented Moscow Mills, MO premises liability attorneys, you cans secure a financial recovery:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages from time spent recovering
- Lost earning potential if you can no longer work
- Out-of-pocket expenses, such as hiring household services for chores you can't do while you're injured
- Noneconomic damages like pain and suffering, emotional distress, permanent impairment, scarring and loss of consortium
How much money you get in your premises liability settlement will be based on how serious your injuries are, how they have affected your life and the abilities of your Moscow Mills, MO premises liability attorneys.
How Moscow Mills, MO Premises Liability Attorneys Can Help
When it comes to pursuing a premises liability case, having a qualified lawyer on your side is crucial. Your Halvorsen Klote premises liability attorneys will:
- Investigate the accident and come up with a legal strategy to prove negligence
- Acquire evidence, including maintenance reports, inspections, previous complaints filed and/or surveillance footage
- Take depositions from witnesses, employees or others who may have knowledge of the dangerous condition
- Answer the phone when you call and keep you up-to-date on the status of your claim
- Handle all documentation and litigation so you can focus on your physical recovery
- Negotiate the best possible settlement for you
- Take the fight in front of a judge and jury if we cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations
Our compassionate and experienced attorneys will be by your side every step of the way, and will not stop until you get the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Other injury cases we take on in Moscow Mills, MO include:
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Reach Out to Halvorsen Klote's Moscow Mills, MO Premises Liability Attorneys Today
The thought of having to fight back against a powerful corporation can be daunting to many. But, if they or their policyholder caused you harm, nothing should be able to keep you from getting the financial recovery you deserve. We've dedicated our practice to offering the injured the same expert legal representation as the people who injured them. If you were injured because of a Moscow Mills, MO property owner's carelessness, call our premises liability attorneys today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.