Premises Liability Attorneys Arnold, MO
Arnold, MO Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Complimentary Case Review | Arnold, MO Slip and Fall Lawyers
Premises liability attorneys in Arnold, MO. Property owners in Arnold, MO have a responsibility to ensure their property is reasonably safe for patrons. Unfortunately, a lot of times they fail in that responsibility, and good people are injured through no fault of their own. If you or a loved one was injured on someone else's property, you need experienced Arnold, MO premises liability attorneys to fight for your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, our attorneys are dedicated to leveling the playing field between large corporations and insurance companies and injury victims every day. We fight for the injured in both Missouri and Illinois, and fight hard so our clients can finally get a sense of justice and recognition. Speak to our premises liability attorneys today 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.
What Are the Premises Liability Laws in Missouri and Illinois?
Both states treat premises liability fairly similarly: A property owner has an obligation to warn against or fix a "dangerous condition" they either were aware of or should have been aware of through reasonable diligence. If they don't, they are responsible for any injuries sustained because of the dangerous condition.
The states do differ in one very important way, related to the duty of care property owners must give different categories of visitors.
Types of Visitors in Arnold, MO Premises Liability Cases
The law distinguishes between three classes of visitors in premises liability claims:
- Invitees — A business invitee is someone who is visiting the premises to benefit themselves and/or the proprietor. This can include a customer in a retail store or someone shopping in a grocery store. Invitees can also be considered people on property the public is allowed to be on, for example a park or a library. Property owners are liable for an invitee's injuries caused by dangers they knew about or should have known about.
- Licensees — A licensee is someone who is on the property with the owner's permission, but for personal, non-business reasons. This can mean a friend coming over for dinner, but the law might apply to someone who stopped into a grocery store just to ask for directions. In Illinois, licensees have the same rights as invitees. In Missouri, property owners are only liable for dangers they had express knowledge of – not ones they "should have known about.
- Trespassers — Trespassers are on the property without consent of the property owner. Therefore, they do not have the same protections as people that are allowed to be there, meaning they can't sue the property owner for a financial recovery. There are two exceptions:
- According to Illinois Premises Liability Act and Missouri Revised Statute §537.349, a property owner can still owe compensation for a trespasser's injuries if the landowner acted with "willful and wanton misconduct." Meaning, if the owner intentionally created or allowed a danger to exist because they wanted trespassers to get hurt, they can still be held accountable.
- Under the attractive nuisance principle, a child who is trespassing may be considered an invitee. An "attractive nuisance" is something about the property that could make a child want to enter the property. Examples could be swimming pools, trampolines or power tools. In this instance, the child and their family can make a claim for a financial recovery.
How Do I Prove a Premises Liability Claim in Arnold, MO?
In any personal injury case, you must prove the four elements of negligence:
- Duty of care — Did the landowner have a duty to protect you from unreasonable dangers? The degree of the property owner's or manager's responsibility to keep you safe depends on what kind of visitor you are and your jurisdiction. Generally, anybody who is legally on the property is owed a duty of care.
- Breach of duty — If they neglect their duty, property owners are considered to have breached their duty. That could mean not fixing a broken staircase, or not roping off a section that has a dangerous condition.
- Causation — Did the hazardous condition directly cause your injuries? If you fell because you had inappropriate footwear for conditions, you may not have a valid claim against the property owner. Likewise, if you didn't observe an obvious hazard because you were looking at your phone, the property owner may argue that you were injured because you were distracted, not because of the hazard.
- Damages — In order to make a claim, you have to show that you suffered injuries, loss and other expenses. Usually, you need to show financial loss, including lost wages and medical expenses, to get a financial recovery for how the injury affected you physically and mentally. If you sustained a few bumps and scrapes, but did not suffer any financial loss, you likely do not have enough to make a case.
Halvorsen Klote's Arnold, MO premises liability attorneys have proven numerous premises liability claims. If you want to see if you have a case, or have questions about filing a personal injury lawsuit, call one of our attorneys for free today at 866-382-4167.
Most Common Premises Liability Claims in Arnold, MO
Slip and Falls
Falling is accounts for a third of all nonfatal preventable injuries. Slip and falls account for 12% of total falls that lead to emergency room visits, and are the number one reason people need to lose days from work.
Slip and falls can be caused by:
- Slippery floors
- Broken staircases, handrails or floors
- Ice or snow
- Loose cords
- Uneven flooring, rugs or carpeting
These cases often arise in apartment complexes, office buildings or hotels. The owners of these properties must guard against potential criminal activity that may reasonable occur. Examples of adequate security could include a doorman or requiring a code to enter the property. Typically, lawsuits for inadequate or negligent security are filed after someone being injured due to a violent crime. While the police and criminal courts are responsible for convicting the offender, you'll typically need to take civil legal action – with the help of premises liable attorneys – against a property owner to be compensated financially for your injuries and emotional anguish.
Swimming Pool and Amusement Park Accidents
Swimming pool accidents usually happen to children. Drowning is the primary cause of fatalities in children between one and four years old. Public swimming pools must have lifeguards, and barriers and lifejacket rules should also be in place to help protect children.
In 2016, an estimated 30,900 people sought emergency medical attention for injuries suffered at amusement parks. Negligence can include mechanical issues, operator error, collisions, malfunctioning seat belts, electric shocks substandard designs. Anybody who operates a theme park must ensure that the rides are properly designed, maintained, inspected and repaired. If they didn't and you ended up injured, our Arnold, MO premises liability attorneys will help you secure justice and maximum compensation.
Fire and Smoke Injuries
Local Arnold, MO laws are stringent when it comes to fire codes for all types of properties. Fires can cause terrible injuries and lifelong scarring, and even the inhalation of smoke can create substantial health risks. If a property owner did not adhere to local fire codes, your Arnold, MO premises liability lawyers at Halvorsen Klote can hold them liable for any injuries you sustain. Liability can occur because of a variety of factors, from poor handling of flammabale materials to missing or broken smoke alarms.
Construction companies have an obligation to keep their construction zones safe. If you were hurt in a construction site accident in a slip and fall, car accident or by falling debris because the site was not properly secured, you can hold the construction company accountable for premises liability.
However you sustained your injuries, if you were injured because a property owner or manager did not keep their property safe, call Halvorsen Klote's Arnold, MO premises liability attorneys for the best possible compensation you're entitled to.
What Compensation Can I Receive For My Arnold, MO Premises Liability Injuries?
The value of your claim depends on the financial, physical and emotional hardships your injuries cause. With skilled Arnold, MO premises liability attorneys, you cans secure compensation:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages from time spent recovering
- Lost earning capacity if you can no longer work
- Out-of-pocket expenses, such as transportation to and from medical appointments
- Noneconomic damages like pain and suffering, emotional distress, physical impairment, scarring and loss of consortium
How much your premises liability claim is worth depends largely on how serious your injuries are, the impact they've had on your life and the skill and experience of your Arnold, MO premises liability attorneys.
The Role of Your Arnold, MO Premises Liability Attorneys
Given the complex nature of litigation and premises liability laws, having a qualified lawyer on your side is paramount. When you hire us, our premises liability attorneys will:
- Investigate the circumstances surrounding your injuries and come up with a legal strategy to prove negligence
- Acquire evidence, including maintenance reports, inspections, previous complaints filed and/or surveillance footage
- Take depositions from witnesses, employees or others who may have knowledge of the hazard
- Be available whenever you need us to be and answer any question you may have
- Handle all documentation and litigation so you can focus on healing
- Negotiate a settlement on your behalf
- Represent you in court if we cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations
Our compassionate and experienced attorneys will be by your side every step of the way, and will not stop until you get the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Other injury cases we take on in Arnold, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Reach Out to Halvorsen Klote's Arnold, MO Premises Liability Attorneys Now
The notion of going up against a powerful insurance company can be intimidating. But, if you were injured because of someone else's negligence, nothing should be able to keep you from getting the financial recovery you are owed. We've devoted our careers to helping the average person get the same expert legal advocacy as powerful corporations and insurance companies. If you were injured on someone else's property in Arnold, MO, call our premises liability attorneys today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.