What to Do After a Car Accident in Chamois, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Chamois, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Chamois, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately ubiquitous in today's world. They are always unexpected, and can cause significant physical, mental and economic damage. If you were injured through no fault of your own, it's important to know what steps to take to protect yourself. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Chamois, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our careers to ensuring everyday people in Chamois, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that massive corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Chamois, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be staggering. However, it's essential to keep your wits about you and take the steps outlined below:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is severely injured or unconscious, call for emergency personnel immediately and give first aid if you are able.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to assign fault in a car accident. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Chamois, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Chamois, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your legal rights. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you speak with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the personal injury process and ensure the insurance company doesn't treat you poorly. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in asking us to look over your case, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think you deserve much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your future. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Chamois, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Chamois, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are significant, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you receive full compensation and protect your rights.
There are many situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Chamois, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If there is disagreement over who is at fault for the accident, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If you were involved in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can help you navigate the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love passed away in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Chamois, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The only way to really know if you need a lawyer is to speak to one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Chamois, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Chamois, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and acquire other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Chamois, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Chamois, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Chamois, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable aid after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Chamois, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Chamois, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Chamois, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving high-quality legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Chamois, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.