Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Chamois, MO
Chamois, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Chamois, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Chamois, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too often, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We serve clients in Chamois, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to an accomplished and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Chamois, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Chamois, MO to ensure the ideal result. A personal injury lawyer in Chamois, MO can provide assistance in a variety of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you increase your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages surpass the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law fairly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate claims adjuster can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often depend on claimants knowing scant about injury and accident law to provide as minimal money as feasible. We'll guarantee they understand their lawful duty to reimburse you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including collecting evidence, deposing people who saw the accident, analyzing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make mistakes or neglect critical details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a advantage, not a vulnerability.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle obtaining your compensation while you focus on healing.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interview witnesses, examine medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as depose witnesses who can corroborate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more evidence is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to get a full financial recovery.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if fault isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned injury attorneys in your corner to file a lawsuit and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Chamois, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can fight for you for the duration of your case, from initial consultation through a jury verdict.
Chamois, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in motor vehicle crashes nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which caused 351 injuries and six deaths, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which resulted in 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes transpire at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, annually they account for over two percent of traffic accident fatalities. The discrepancy points to the terrible damage drivers can cause when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Chamois, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist negligence or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically causes bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents between intersections cause more serious injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Chamois, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Chamois, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Chamois, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need knowledgeable and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Chamois, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Chamois, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that caused your case. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and make each of them pay you based on how much of the accident was their fault. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone hits you because they were texting and driving, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as respecting bike lanes. Following the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Component
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as tires, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be responsible for a percentage of your financial recovery.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Chamois, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as a pothole contributed to your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Chamois, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so an attorney is imperative to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Chamois, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More debilitating injuries lead to higher medical expenses, which you will be compensated for. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to much higher compensation than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Chamois, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the physical and emotional burdens caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An experienced and talented Chamois, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Chamois, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 50 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises may have up to $5 million in coverage. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially liable, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Chamois, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should be able to depend on the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Chamois, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several things you should do to help you get better physically and optimize your compensation.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Get Medical Attention
If you can, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could exacerbate your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, visit the emergency room or urgent care after law enforcement tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, make an appointment with your general practitioner as soon as possible. If you don't have records from a physician of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in proving the other party's liability. Police are trained to assign fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-embellish your actions. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them at a later time.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. Most injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always worth it to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Chamois, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Chamois, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is confusing, painful and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Chamois, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their abilities to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they recover all the money they deserve. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Chamois, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.