Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Chamois, MO
Chamois, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Chamois, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Chamois, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for our physical and mental well-being. But on too many occasions, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident even after you did everything that you were supposed to, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We offer expert legal representation clients in Chamois, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Chamois, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle wrecks in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle wrecks 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
In both states, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Almost a third of bike crashes happen at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, annually they account for over twice that in traffic accident fatalities. The discrepancy speaks to the horrible damage motorists can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Chamois, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist simply did not see a bicyclist. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents between intersections cause more serious injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Chamois, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Chamois, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Chamois, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need knowledgeable and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Chamois, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is At Fault for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Chamois, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and make each of them pay you based on how much of the accident was their fault. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were driving drunk, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as yielding to bicyclist when turning. Following the legal theory of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Motor Vehicle Parts
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as tires, you can file a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety issue comes to light. If they fail to, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be responsible for a portion of your compensation.
A Government Entity
Governmental entities both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Chamois, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections played a part in your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Chamois, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not granted sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Chamois, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More serious injuries lead to higher medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Chamois, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the physical and emotional burdens caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An accomplished and talented Chamois, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you need to be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Chamois, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is comfortable.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative fault, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially liable, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent responsible.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Chamois, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has has a right to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Chamois, MO:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Chamois, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Chamois, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their careers to fighting for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get all the money they deserve. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Chamois, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.