What to Do After a Car Accident in Hannibal, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Hannibal, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Hannibal, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of the modern world. They happen without any notice, and can cause devastating physical, mental and financial burdens. If you were injured by a negligent driver, it's important to know what steps to take to get the full and fair financial recovery you're owed. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Hannibal, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring everyday people in Hannibal, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal representation that powerful corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Hannibal, MO
Being in a car accident can be confusing. However, it's essential to stay calm and take the steps outlined below:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or unconscious, call for emergency personnel right away and render aid if you can.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to determine fault in a car accident. Their report is essential for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Take pictures — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Hannibal, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Hannibal, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the financial recovery are legally entitled to. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Certain injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't say anything before you speak with a car accident lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by another driver, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you understand the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe you deserve much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being being injured in a car accident can be an overwhelming experience, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your future. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Hannibal, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Hannibal, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require ongoing treatment, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you receive full compensation and defend your rights.
There are many circumstances in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Hannibal, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love passed away in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Hannibal, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to talk to one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Hannibal, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will be your legal advocate and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Hannibal, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the full value of your claim to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Hannibal, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the legal process. An experienced Hannibal, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Hannibal, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial aid after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Hannibal, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we handle in Hannibal, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Hannibal, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving high-quality legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Hannibal, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.