Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Hannibal, MO
Hannibal, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Hannibal, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Hannibal, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for the mind and body. But too often, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to stand by your side. We offer expert legal representation clients in Hannibal, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Hannibal, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Hannibal, MO to secure the best possible result. A personal injury lawyer in Hannibal, MO can offer help in a range of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you increase your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are legally owed
- Finding supplementary insurance coverage if your damages exceed the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law truthfully and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance representative can feel defeating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do anything they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often count on claimants knowing scant about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to pay as little money as possible. We'll guarantee they understand their legal obligation to compensate you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including collecting evidence, deposing people who saw the accident, analyzing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are unfamiliar with injury claims can make errors or overlook important details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a advantage, not a weakness.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle ensuring your compensation while you focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interview witnesses, review medical records, and link your injuries to your accident, as well as depose witnesses who can validate your story. The more complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Experienced bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to get a full financial recovery.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to bring a legal action and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Hannibal, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can fight for you throughout your case, from initial case evaluation through a jury verdict.
Hannibal, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in motor vehicle accidents across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which lead to 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both states, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes happen at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers and commuters, annually they account for over two percent of traffic accident deaths. The disparity points to the horrible destruction motorists can do when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Hannibal, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist merely was not paying attention. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically causes bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately marked construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents between intersections cause more significant injuries because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Hannibal, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out an exhaustive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Hannibal, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in permanent disability. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Hannibal, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need knowledgeable and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Hannibal, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Hannibal, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as an operator of any other vehicle, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as yielding to bicyclist when turning. Pursuant to the legal practice of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will be more accommodating in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Car Parts
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as steering systems, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they fail to, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Governmental agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Hannibal, MO roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole contributed to your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Hannibal, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so an attorney is imperative to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while driving within the course of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Hannibal, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial loss and other factors:
- The severity of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, and you should receive all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Hannibal, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the physical and emotional burdens caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? An experienced and skilled Hannibal, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because you were on bed rest for six weeks, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Hannibal, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 25 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially at fault, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be lowered by $30,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Hannibal, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that large corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should be able to depend on the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Hannibal, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and confusing, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Attention
If you're able to, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, wait for emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you can leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, see your general practitioner in the days afterward. If you don't have records from a physician of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing how the other drive caused your injuries. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't admit fault or over-explain your actions. Be honest, but don't say anything beyond the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident location, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can contact them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you become aware of the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. Most injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always worth it to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Hannibal, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Hannibal, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is shocking, infuriating and leads to a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Hannibal, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their careers to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are entitled to. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Hannibal, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.