Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Hannibal, MO
Hannibal, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Hannibal, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Hannibal, MO. Riding a bicycle is a great way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too frequently, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you were injured in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Hannibal, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Hannibal, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in motor vehicle crashes in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which resulted in 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Over three-tenths of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, each year they account for more than two percent of traffic accident deaths. The deviation points to the horrible destruction motorists can do when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Hannibal, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist merely did not see a bicyclist. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately marked construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents on the side of the road cause more severe injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Hannibal, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Hannibal, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in lifelong consequences. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Hannibal, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need knowledgeable and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Hannibal, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Hannibal, MO?
Who is responsible depends on the specifics of your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were texting and driving, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Following the legal theory of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Component
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as brakes, you can seek a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they fail to, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be responsible for a portion of your compensation.
A Government Entity
Municipal agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Hannibal, MO roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole played a part in your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Hannibal, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so an attorney is imperative to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Hannibal, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More debilitating injuries lead to higher medical expenses, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Hannibal, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the physical and emotional distress caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Does your wrist lock when you try to play the guitar? An accomplished and talented Hannibal, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you need to be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Hannibal, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 30 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is comfortable.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially at fault, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent liable.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Hannibal, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should be able to depend on the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Hannibal, MO:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Hannibal, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is shocking, infuriating and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Hannibal, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their abilities to fighting for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they recover all the money they are owed. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Hannibal, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.