What to Do After a Car Accident in Glendale, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Glendale, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Glendale, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of the modern world. They are always unanticipated, and can lead to devastating physical, mental and financial damage. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to protect yourself. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Glendale, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our careers to ensuring that those injured in Glendale, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Glendale, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's essential to keep your wits about you and take the steps outlined below:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel right away and give first aid if you are able.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to assign blame in a car accident. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Glendale, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Glendale, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident scene, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your legal rights. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Some injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by another driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in discussing your case with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following the above steps, you can help protect your financial well-being as it relates to the accident. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Glendale, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Glendale, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you get maximum compensation and defend your future.
There are many situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Glendale, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for your injuries, a lawyer can help you acquire evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you guide you through the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love passed away in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Glendale, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The only way to really know if you need a lawyer is to consult with one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Glendale, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Glendale, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Glendale, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Glendale, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the legal process. An experienced Glendale, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Glendale, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable assistance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Glendale, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Glendale, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Glendale, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving high-quality legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Glendale, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.