What to Do After a Car Accident in Kingdom City, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Kingdom City, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Kingdom City, MO. Car accidents are all too common in modern society. They are always unanticipated, and can lead to considerable physical, mental and economic damage. If you were injured by a negligent driver, it's important to know what steps to take to get the full and fair financial recovery you're owed. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Kingdom City, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our careers to ensuring everyday people in Kingdom City, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a free case review.
In the Moments Right After Your Car Accident in Kingdom City, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be confusing. However, it's essential to stay calm and take the steps outlined below:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call 911 immediately and provide medical attention if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Take photos — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when seeking compensation.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about your actions.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Kingdom City, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Kingdom City, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident scene, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your legal rights. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt by another driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you navigate the legal process and ensure the insurance company doesn't treat you poorly. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in discussing your case with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your future. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Kingdom City, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Kingdom City, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are severe, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you get full compensation and protect your rights.
There are numerous circumstances in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Kingdom City, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If you were involved in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Kingdom City, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Kingdom City, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Kingdom City, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and acquire other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company for you ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the extent of all your damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Kingdom City, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Kingdom City, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Kingdom City, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable guidance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Kingdom City, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we handle in Kingdom City, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Kingdom City, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving the highest standard of legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Kingdom City, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.